Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A little bit of quilty stuff and a whole lot of other stuff!

Hello dear blogger friends!! I can say I've missed ya'll. I've been pretty much hit and miss on blogger/computer time. The saying goes that "Time flies when you're having fun"!! Well, I have been having a lot of fun - but a lot of other stuff too!! (most of it fun, too!!) This morning, I've got the bottle kids fed, the cow milked, breakfast for Mike and him sent off on a clearing job, made my "walk-about" checking kids and nannies (I'm on the down hill side of kidding out - only 5 nannies left to go!! Yeah!!), so I got myself a cup of coffee, took a couple more photos and now I'm checking in with ya'll!!

Don't know really where to start, so I'll start with the little bit of quilty stuff. Raewyn came for a visit!!! She spent a few days with us, and she may never come again - she didn't have much of a vacation at my house! She trooped along with me doing my chores! But I can say we talked up a storm and shared our farm/ranch lives as well as some quilting stuff!! What a grand time I had!!



She brought me a bunch of super cool goodies from New Zealand!! A super neat table runner with kiwis!!! And in some of my favorite colors!!! The piecing and quilting are just exquisite!! I will treasure it always! Plus, some Manuka soap, a deck of cards with New Zealand wild life photos (as good as a photo album!), some Old Fashioned Creamy Fudge made locally there in Northland, a note pad with birds (she knows I love birds!), a thimble with kiwi birds highlighted with paua shells (I think) and some buttons made of paua! What a haul!!





We did share a few quilting adventures: I showed her ALL my quilts and projects (I'm sure she thinks I'm nuts!! - like I'll ever finish them!! LOL) Many of you know that I don't favor Paper Piecing (okay, I'll admit it - don't know how to do it and didn't want to learn!) But our guild's BOM for May was a simple foundation paper pieced block! So I hog-tied Raewyn, drug her to my sewing machine and she gallantly instructed me on the art! Voila---my first successful foundation paper pieced block!!! Thanks, Raewyn, I couldn't have done it with out you!!


We also attended a book signing of Marie Bostwick's latest novel "Between Heaven and Texas"! My first ever, and what a great 'send-off' memory with Raewyn!! She has the photo of us together with Marie - so bug her to post it!! By the way, the book was awesome! One of my favorite all time reads!!

Now, to the other stuff! Spring is always busy for me, and this one has seemed even more, but it has been a good one! The day before Raewyn arrived, we received 4 1/2 inches of rain! It feel in about 2-3 hours, so Mike said we had a young flood! I called it a "tank filler". We call our man-made ponds "dirt tanks" and it filled up and ran around on both sides of the dam!! First time is has been full in about 10 or 11 years! Two years ago, it was completely dry, so we are so very thankful for the rain. The down side of that much rain at one time is we lost four baby kids to drowning. (boo hoo)



We had our first kids born on April 16, and there has been a birth every day since then except on one day. For the most part, it has gone very well. We have lost a few kids, and two nannies and we have 12 bottle babies, but the warm weather and rains (we've also had a little more than an inch more in the past week) has helped the pasture to green up, and all seem to be doing well. Go here to see photos of the goats! They are pretty cute!

Other ranch work has included shipping pasture cattle. It also went well, just busy for a few days, gathering, moving, loading etc. Go here if you want to see those events!

Sometimes, Mike needs me to help on one of his clearing jobs (he clears brush and trees from ranch land using a skid steer). So, on his current job, he found a huge cedar tree and the owner had told him that if Mike wanted any cedar trees for posts, he was welcome to cut them. Never a dull moment in our lives!


When Mike got it cut and it fell - the top branches covered up the skid steer! No harm done, though!!



This past weekend was a landmark event for our family! Our youngest daughter graduated with her Bachelor's degree from Tartleton State University! The whole family gathered in Stephenville for the event, and our son and dil were so gracious and hosted a BBQ in their back yard! It was a grand time! Beautiful weather, great food, friends and family - what more could anyone ask for!! So proud of you Mollie!





Well, I'll bid adieu for now! Remember - Be Joyful!!!!

15 comments:

Janet O. said...

I thought you were sitting with a relative when I first saw the photo of you and Raewyn. Wow, sounds like you two kept very busy--oh what fun! She brought you lovely gifts!
You are a marvel, Doniene I don't think I could keep up with you.
Congrats to your new graduate!
It was good to catch up on what has been happening in your life. : )

Nancy said...

I loved this post! It reminds me of the chatty letters people used to write before technology took over the world. So, I poured another cup of tea and sat down to read your "letter."

Congratulations to the new graduate.

Thanks for taking the time to post today. I enjoyed it.

Raewyn said...

So good to read your post and have lovely memories flood in!! I have so much I want to comment on!!! :-) Awesome work getting that block together; it turned out really well. You and Mike sure have been busy...oh wow, 12 bottle babies now! Congratulations to Mollie too - it is lovely to see the family portrait. Hugs to you all :-)

ria vogelzang said...

Thanks for such a great post!
Great to see you and your family on a picture!!
Love, Ria.
(sorry I didn't wrote a comment on an earlier post...)

Aunt 'Reen said...

I really enjoyed reading your post today! So nice to hear of joyful occasions and life events as well as quilting!

I think it's awesome your friend came all the way from New Zealand to visit - such a special blessing!

Hooray for your Daughter - BIG CONGRATS to her on her graduation!
Thanks for sharing all those wonderful pictures with us!

regan said...

What a fabulous post! You've been so busy with so much happening! And what a beautiful family picture at the end! Lovely!

Denise :) said...

I do love to see happy, busy posts!! It looks like you're living life to its fullest, Doniene!! I love that you are such a willing and cheerful helpmeet to your DH -- would that we all were! And congratulations to your graduate!! :)

Mandie McIlroy said...

Love the pictures! I've been waiting on this post all week!! Love you! And we got an inch of rain the other night. It came in about 3 hours, so Bobby was parked on the front porch watching it rain... I was there a while, too!

Maureen said...

Sounds like you and Raewyn had a fun filled visit! What fabulous gifts she brought you. I'm sure she didn't mind doing chores with you. Interesting about the goats and clearing. The goats are so cute! Congrats to Mollie! and to you for finishing that paper pieced block!

Vickie said...

Sounds like you've had an exciting, busy life the last few weeks ! Congrats to your daughter ! How fun to have a visitor from that far away , I joined her site !!

Dawn said...

I agree - never a dull moment with you!! What a fun posts. Visits from friends, farm babies and rain.
Congratulations to your graduate - very special.
Thanks for sharing - have a Joyful week ;-)

Teresa in Music City said...

Ah! So many really great things going on in your life Doniene!!! Congrats on your daughter's graduation and the birth of the kids - wow!!! Life at its best, right? And it's always so much fun to meet up with a friend and spend time together. Especially when they bear such great gifts and can teach you new tricks in the bargain! :*)

Rhonda said...

Hi girlfriend...long time no see.
Glad you had a great visit and good for you with the paper piecing project!!

Sue said...

Wow! Doniene, I thought I had been busy, but your list tops mine! and like you I have enjoyed every minute from farm chores, gardening, family,and friends visits. Thanks for sharing,and for taking time to come by and leave me such a sweet note.
Hugs,
Sue

Carrie P. said...

Whew! lots of stuff going on with you. That is so cool that you got to hang out with Raewyn. I follow her blog.